The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
- Bruce Lee
I can't tell you what I dreamed last night. I lock all my dreams up in my heart before I wake up.
- Greta (age 4)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ALL THAT DAVID COPPERFIELD KIND OF CRAP

Salinger could have meant many different things and had many different reasons to do this. The one that just grabs me by the collar and shouts in my face is that Holden and Copperfield or even Pip are very different characters in very different settings with very different morals and ideals. Salinger wants to make Holden seem distant and impersonal to the reader, He wants to make Holden seem like an outcast from the very first line and make sure Holden won't be seen as the hero of his own life, but the self-destructive, angst-ridden adolescent that Holden is. Salinger does this, yet still manages to create a real character that seems so alive and so relatable. Dickens on the other hand, breathes life into all of his characters, especially the protagonist, by doing the exact opposite of Salinger. Dickens likes to give lengthy descriptions with more detail about a character in a single paragraph than some authors do in entire novel. Dickens makes people seem like people and he does a such a good job of it that, if I didn't know any better, I would probably confuse his novels with biographies. Salinger and Dickens achieve the same thing, creating unbelievably believable characters in their works.

No comments:

Post a Comment